• Learn how to Run Mac Snow-Leopard on Ubuntu using Oracle Sun Virtual-box
  • Are you a Turbo C++ addict/? Learn how to emulate Turbo c++ with Dos-box in a few steps.
  • Ubuntu's purple love-- A Clean and minimalistic wallpaper for your Desktop.

Mic not working in Ubuntu 12.04-- Solved



Ever since I upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 I 'd been experiencing problems with my mic, for some reason ALSA did not recognize my internal/external mic. So I went on looking for a fix on google and found a temporary solution which was installing pulse-audio controller and tweaking the input sound settings. But I had to fiddle with pulse-audio controller every time I had to use my mic. Since this wasn't a real fix I continued searching, but all I could find was bug reports filled with launchpad and a few askubuntu answers which were of no use.

Luckily today I stumbled upon this old webupd8 post which had some information on altering ALSA and Pulse audio settings through gstreamer-properties. Changing the input values in gstreammer-settings was the permanent fix.


Here's what I did.

Open terminal(Ctrl+Alt+T)  and run the gstreamer-properties.

gstreamer-properties




Change the settings under Default Input to the below screenshot.



Close the gstreamer-properties and plugin your mic to see if its working.



Note: If its still not working then you may have to try giving different Device inputs  under Default Input.

20 comments:

Spencer Kleine said...

I tried this, and I believe one of the issues on my computer may be derived from the fact that my computer was XP at one point.

davemc said...

worked for me, thanks!

Vamsi Krishna said...

Thanks a lot!

crisb said...

Perfect and easy!!
Thanks a lot.

Unknown said...

For the default input I selected Plugin as ALSA option but the device is only showing 'Default Device' option and shows no other option,

Kaliyappan said...

You need to edit this file as an administrator using sudo command.

Unknown said...

It works, thx!

chefjama said...

You are a superstar. Worked great

Jeferson Arenzon said...

Thanks! Solved a long time issue...

Gary and Peg Kirkpatrick said...

Got the mike working using Alsa, Pulse won't work at all. However sound is very scratchy, and no mic at all in skype. Using xubuntu 12.04. Mic works fine on same machine using ubuntu 12.04.

Unknown said...

Awesome site.. thanks for share.. visit more info :- Skype Support and Call +1-800-231-4635 USA (Toll Free).

Iska said...

thanks

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Okay everyone... 21 days to go on the kickstarter campaign. We need to pick up the pace a bit. If you want the product before everyone else and get a great discount, back our campaign by going to kickstarter and searching Tidy Snap . Tell everyone you know smile emoticon.

Unknown said...

nice blog, and it was nice to visit your blog.. This is interesting, thanks for sharing!!
DevOps Online Training

Unknown said...


Thanks you for sharing this unique useful information content with us.
DevOps Online Training

Unknown said...

Thank you very much for posting and sharing this great Blog And Good Information.keep posting Datastage Online Training

Jack sparrow said...


Wow. That is so elegant and logical and clearly explained. Brilliantly goes through what could be a complex process and makes it obvious.I want to refer about the tableau course and tableau training videos

Veera Blogspot said...

Tooo good article,Thank you for sharing this awesome blog.

Keep updating...

ServiceNow Online Training Hyderabad

ZoopGo Home services said...

Thank You for sharing such an Informative Blog!! I would Love to share in Ac Repair in Navi Mumbai @Zoopgo

rj said...

wordpress web design company in united states Need professional WordPress Web Design Services? We're experts in developing attractive mobile-friendly WordPress websites for businesses. Contact us today!

Post a Comment